Saturday, March 20, 2021

Sara’s Experiments (con’t.)


 Here’s my Snowbunnies, 8x10. I like it, but I think I can do better on heavier paper...


Here’s this morning’s portrait, painted directly, 9x12. It’s called Lisa Waiting for Fireworks. I kind of felt like I was channeling Susan, because I wanted to include all the details that showed we were at the lakefront. Yeah, she was about 13 and we had her for two long weeks....


Here’s two of my experiments. Target had these 6x6 canvases on sale for $2. The landscape I painted directly on the canvas with no priming. I did use some wc texture medium I had from the W&N lady. It looks pretty blah in person and I’ll probably wash it off and do something else. The still life I primed the canvas with gesso I had. Then I painted with gouache mixed with gesso. It looks more like an oil painting in person.

This is a 6x6 140lb paper. I painted it in watercolor and didn’t like it, so I used the gouache mixed with gesso. I kind of like it. It has more texture than watercolor.

I think I’m trying to find a way I can paint directly and like the results. My watercolors don’t seem to have enough energy imo. I feel like I have to plan too much to get the results I want —and then they look too planned!

2 comments:

  1. I really like these... especially Lisa waiting. There's a solidity there that reminds me of Cezanne or an early Picasso. And you really got her attitude. Your snowbunnies captured the light so well! Your experiments with gesso and gouache have an energy and an alla prima quality that's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I was looking at a book of watercolor paintings and John La Farge copied your pic of the little white vase with flowers!

    ReplyDelete