Friday, March 19, 2021

Alan is drinking again

 I painted this cherry infused Manhattan on 140# cold press. I liked the angle. I really liked the decanter as well and got to used my imagination about how I painted it. I thought that the drink itself was a little dull  



So I took your advice and used alcohol inks to paint another version on Yupo. I panned in to get more drink and less table. I used watercolor on the background and inks for the bottle and the drink. Very difficult to do but I’ll have a better idea next time I try to paint with it. I won’t outline the items if I do something like this again.  But I do like the vibrancy of the inks.I think that you have to be very precise when painting with inks.




4 comments:

  1. I like everything better in the second painting, except the bottle. It doesn't have as much presence on the second go around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each version has its own merits. I like the solidity of the objects in the first painting, and love the decanters reflective qualities. Agree, the drink needs some highlighting to give it a more liquid feeling. The second one's brighter colors and rendering make it momre abstract, to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so different, I'm glad I don't have to say which I prefer. The decanter and textures in the first one are beautiful. The second one has lovely abstract colors and shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, they both have merits, but the ink one definitely is more energetic. I love the colors in both decanters.

    ReplyDelete