Friday, March 12, 2021

Alan’s back to Yupo

 All these were done rather quickly.

I changed the structure of this lily and I like it better. I couldn’t have done that so quickly and easily on regular paper or at all.



I’m starting to do contour drawings as a form of meditation. I only took my eyes off the fruit bowl once. It would be a good start for a real painting. 


The next two are just alcohol inks on Yupo. 




This is a line of Live Oak trees on Washington Avenue in Ocean Springs MS done on Yupo. This one took more time but I think it was well worth it. I really liked this and it was really fun to paint. 


I tried it again using alcohol inks. It is harder to control but some interesting things happened that I loved. 





3 comments:

  1. So what's the story behind alcohol inks, sounds like something you would add to, I don't know, a pink lady to make it glow. I have been using a new kind of watercolor pencils called Derwent Inktense and they are stronger than the regular pencils. What is the difference between inks and paints anyway?

    I like the first painting of trees, but when I saw the second with the alcohol inks I liked that one better.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying the alcohol inks again, I see. I'm intrigued about them...how long is the drying time on Yupo?

    I really like the trees... I can't decide which I like better. They are both so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the watercolor trees best. There’s just something about the repetition of trunks that makes it more interesting than the alcohol painting, which focus my attention more on the colors of the bark in the close trees but doesn’t connect well with the rest of the painting, imo. But it is interesting to see the two interpretations side by side...

    ReplyDelete