Saturday, May 29, 2021

Sara gets religion...


 Here’s the reference photo. I named it Madonna of the Driveway.


Here’s the sketch that I worked on forever.


Here’s my first watercolor attempt. I primed spaces with clear water before painting, but the paper couldn’t take it even tho this is Strathmore 400. Her face is too blotchy. The baby looks like an old man...


Second attempt: I used a yellow underwash on the faces and her shirt to get a glowing effect. I think it worked. I changed the right arm position— too many hands, and the baby still looks like an old man...


Now I’m painting it in gouache on hot press because I want it to look more like a Renaissance Madonna and child painting. I’m going for a darker background and more variation from light to dark. The baby currently looks like ET...

Current reference photo...I like to aim high...


1 comment:

  1. So impressive. I love seeing all the steps and the title is inspired! There are a lot of hands (and feet) all bunched together in your inspiration painting--but I know where you are coming from about lots of hands. This is going to be magnificent (and it's good to see you going for Brit paintings, too!).

    ReplyDelete