Saturday, May 29, 2021

Lake Michigan sunsets

This was a quick sketch painting just looking for colors.



In the first painting  I did some work on the chairs trying to give them more depth. 


One of the problems was that I made the lake so dark that the chairs got lost. The little cloud on the horizon was to cover a mistake. I kind of liked it but didn’t really want it there. The clouds were supposed to be light and fluffy but I screwed that up and made them darker to cover up that mistake. So I thought that I would paint it again trying to correct the mistakes that I made in the first version. 





I liked it better.  There was a peace that I was striving for that wasn’t there in the first one.   The sky and the lake were too ominous.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! That last one totally captures the feeling of peace and relaxation. I want to sit there. That yellow chair has my name on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They both work imo. The first one has that ominous storm coming feeling, even with the little clouds that pop up on the horizon sometimes.Even the chairs look ready to run for cover. It reminds me of Charles Burchfield, altho I don’t think he did beach scenes. The second one definitely has that relaxed peaceful feeling.

    ReplyDelete