Saturday, May 7, 2022

Sara’s Back….

 Great trip to California, saw lots of family, big trees in Sequoia, weird  rock formations in Death Valley & lots of crazy people in Las Vegas, along with a couple of amazing Cirque shows…But it was nice to be back for the last class of the spring session! We really have an amazing thing going on. Even though there were only 4 of us in class today (plus Pat),  it was so cool to see everyone’s work and to just paint together.  Not everyone has a community like this…we’re lucky.

So here’s my pencil sketch of Quinnie that I did before I left. I really like it.


Then today in class I did this watercolor. It’s amazing the difference in expression & I think it’s all because of the eyes…and maybe the mouth. I’m going to do another watercolor. I have better idea of the color palette I want to use. Just for reference here’s the photo I’m working from, but honestly it’s the sweetest pic of any child EVER!,,,


The drawing is a lot closer in expression than the painting…

3 comments:

  1. You’re correct about the baby and about the joy of painting together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off—you're so right about our painting group; we're very lucky indeed! Secondly, I love the Quinn series. That expression is so cute, and so hard to catch. You've got it in the sketch (have I ever mentioned how much I love your sketches?). The expression in the painting is very slightly different; it's still a genuine expression, but she looks a little more startled or guilty, maybe? I think tiny tweaks to the right corner of her mouth and the position of her pupils are all you need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think she looks scared, see, with her hair lying wild behind her and her wide-opened eyes, She's gotten into the strawberry jam see, that Mom told her not to and now the coppers are beating down the door. But she is a pretty tough tomato and she knows all the tricks and before the coppers get in she'll have wiped the jam from her mouth and be beaming up those big baby blues and odds on she will be beating the rap.

    Seriously though, why not embrace startled?

    ReplyDelete