Saturday, May 21, 2022

Alan in May

 A little plein aire I did of my new view of Harwood Lake from my patio without the giant Hickory that fell into the lake. Hardly any drawing.



Another little sketch of a flowering plant that I loosely dropped paint onto paper and then did a contour drawing to give it structure. 


Another quick sketch of a dirty martini at the lake.  It continues to amaze me that I can’t draw a straight martini glass.  I’d spend more time but it will always be crooked and that will drive me crazy  


I’m going to start a series of Michigan landscapes that remind me of my youth.  This is Lake Michigan from the park across from my grampa’s  house.  And I thought that I would crop it to make it better.





3 comments:

  1. There is quite a difference in the feel of the cropped vs. uncropped image. Uncropped, you really see the expansiveness of the lake, but the cropped version gives you more of the sense of the power of the waves. I'm not sure which I prefer. As for the martini glass, just say it's plein aire after a few martinis and no one will question any wobbliness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's that on the right side of the martini glass? I agree with Elaine that is has a slightly buzzed look to it with everything leaning a bit to the left, and the trees maybe swinging to a summer beat and the olive in a blur of its own.
    I like the way the clouds in the skies and the waves have a similar pattern and that thin stretch of land between them. I vote for the landscape one,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the paint quality in all of these, very organic, soft yet vibrant. Love the martini composition and the cropped waves best. I can’t draw a straight line even with a ruler, so I just stopped worrying about it….

    ReplyDelete