Friday, April 9, 2021

The Homestead Owners

 Today's painting is inspired by a photo of my cousin & wife sent thru "messenger" technology. During this 2 year pandemic, we reconnected with cousins from my father side. The eldest son of my paternal grandfather settled in southern Ph & my uncle & wife had 5 sons & 2 daughters. My father & youngest uncle settled in northern Ph near Manila.


Sadly, 4 male cousins died already. The surviving male cousin, Boni & wife Lete owned a homestead on top of the mountain while their house is located at the foot. Their house is in a land locked area,  airy, surrounded by trees. I was inspired to paint my cousin & wife, because he resembles my father & if I had a brother, it would look like him. Like my father, Boni is bony ( he he he), has deep sunken cheeks, high nose & square shoulders. It was challenging to paint a skinny older male to reflect the physical presence & at the same time show his life's experiences as a homestead owner on a mountain. Happy April showers to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment