Saturday, April 24, 2021

Oxygen

 On May 25, 2020, at Powderhorn Park, Minneapolis, Minnesota, the lives of 5 men intersected from 8 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. and what happened in that half hour changed the racial landscape of America. The 46 year old male, George Floyd was handcuffed and pinned to the ground by the knees of Officer Chauvin on his neck for 9 minutes & 29 seconds. Mr. Floyd lost his life amidst the pleas of bystanders & the courageous teenager who videod the whole incident. Officer Chauvin, 45 years old,  was found guilty on April 20, 2021 and the other 3 arresting officers, all younger than 40 years, will be tried on August 202


1. Without the video as proof of the end of life of Mr. Floyd, the outcome would be another story. For almost one year of social media exposure of the officer's knee on the neck of the deceased, I got used to the officer's face looking at the camera. I never bothered to look at the face below the knee. I am sorry! When the " Guilty" verdict was announced this week, I researched for photos of Mr. Floyd while he was calling for his Mama during his final moments of his own oxygen. Before I started this painting, I prayed the prayers for the dead and also for forgiveness. I hope I have communicated a sense of respect and remembrance!

1 comment:

  1. A really powerful composition that communicates so much. Well done.

    ReplyDelete