Saturday, July 11, 2020

Ken at the Krossroads



Didn't do much more on this from when you last saw it, mostly just darkened the background, but I think that made it look a lot better.


I thought I would set myself free from the tyranny of the image by flying wide and abstract, you know, just letting myself go, but I don't think this is going anywhere,


So I decided to go back to trains where I figured there were so many details that I could be kind of abstract. But now I am under the tyranny of the image, and trying to find just an opening where /I can get started, but I haven't found it so far.

4 comments:

  1. I like the lion. Darkening the background made him glow--and the little bit of green in his eye is perfect.

    How do you know the middle one isn't going anywhere? Maybe it's just at its ugly middle stage. Well, it'll be interesting to see where the trains go this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darkening the background took away some of his pop. Look back at last week’s image. He really popped last week. He glows more but the dark areas just seem to fade.

    I like whatever is happening on the far right with the trains. I think you’re on to something there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the King--his profile really stands out! I like the flying abstract too--don't give up on it, please. And always glad to see your trains--I still remember the El train coming to the platform in the snowstorm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The higher contrast, along with the harsher delineation of foreground/background, has flattened the lion painting. It has a collage or cut-out look to it, if that's what you were going for.

    You never know the places you'll go, as far as the train painting thus far.

    In fact, comparing the two painting approaches...one wet and blendy while the other is firmly defined and separated...the lion could use some of the train's style - especially letting some of the dark shadow merge into the green leaf background; and with some of his hair/leaf shapes merging into the green leaves in the back. Now that would really move that painting along...Just saying.

    ReplyDelete