Saturday, October 5, 2024

Working at home


 Did quite a bit of work on this over the week, chiefly working on those dense patches in the upper right and lower left so they wouldn't dominate so much.  Strangely those thin stripes seems to have made them look not so dominating and oppressive.  


This is my favorite postcard from few weeks ago.


This is a 9x12 version I did today, not quite finished need to lighten up the shell of Chicxulub, which I am calling this.  Chicxulub (Chick-shoo-lube) is the meteor that smashed into Yucatan and wiped out the dinosaurs.  I may do a little series on this, or maybe not.


4 comments:

  1. Yes, the patches with the lines don't feel quite as oppressive, but the star of the show is still the luminous top left area. It positively glows. I liked that postcard the best, too. Of these two, there's a real and different sense of movement in each of them. The first is calmer; more like waves lapping up on a beach. The second one definitely feels like a meteor. I like the idea of a series; maybe exploring motion or mood. Well, carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the patterned piece looks so much better this week. It’s definitely coming into its own. That little postcard is beautiful, especially the left side with those dark lines squiggling thru the light colors. The larger version has less effect— I think it’s the scale: the two sides are evenly weighted, so there’s no tension. Also there’s a lot of variation in how the postcard is painted, not so much in the larger version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on the postcard vs the 9x12. I think the difference is when I did the postcard I was not thinking meteor at the beginning I was just dripping sepia and indigo down one side of the postcard and then to balance it did that brownish circle, and suddenly it was a meteorite which I helped along a bit. in the 9x12 I was thinking meteorite right from the getgo and that limited my range so that the 9x12 doesn't have the depth of the postcard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like fun. Postcard is still my favorite.

    ReplyDelete