Sunday, October 6, 2024

Low energy paintin I



 These are small, about 4x6. I like how I painted the vase in the top one.And the composition is somewhat interesting. The bottom one just didn’t turn out as well. These sort of satisfy my need to go in with a lot of paint, but they end up looking heavy, but sometimes I kind of like that look. I think I’m trying to paint like Greeta. Her colors always look so vivid and luminous but solid.


I’m working on a portrait of Brit, my daughter in law. I finally found a photo where she is not smiling, altho she doesn’t look particularly happy either. I drew the top one freehand just to get a feel for her features and the bottom I ttraced the photo off my iPad I like how I painted he eyes but her face is a little ruddy.That shadow on the top one is just me taking the photo. I can’t decide if the pose is worth pursuing…is she just going to say I look so sad?

Nice to see everyone on Saturday— several dedicated newbies!

5 comments:

  1. I really like that first still life. The vase is incredible with the sun catching the glass--also the sun catching the sill and creating the shadows. That one is all about the light, isn't it--and the composition, which is inspired. I also like the shadow on the second one. All those tree shadows have paid off! I don't think Brit looks sad so much as thoughtful or pensive. Definitely worth pursuing. Your portraits are beautiful--and you really need to do one of her already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first portrait is by far the best…. imo. There’s something that draws me into it. I don’t think she looks sad in the second one but more disdainful and heavier.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the first one best too. She looks like she is looking deep into mysteries, like the way you did her hair. In the second she looks like somebody has jostled her in frozen food section of the Jewel and she is contemplating how hard to jostle back.

      Delete
  3. Flattered that you’re trying to paint like me. Like the loose orange flowers and both portraits. I don’t like smiles. Who wants to paint teeth?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The composition and colors really work well together in the first still life. The 2nd one looks like it still needs a bit more to pull it together. I like both the portraits. The first one is fun to look at because it shows the structure and how it was perceived and made.

    ReplyDelete