Monday, October 14, 2024

Order and chaos


 This is postcard size. It was originally just an abstract of green, yellows, and darks, but as I finished it the Florida hurricanes hit CNN and I thought it looked a bit like palms flailing in the wind so I added those dark shapes that could be seagulls or debris caught in the deadly winds.


I like the contrast of order and chaos (broken patterns).  In this one I started out with those vertical, horizontal, and diagonal lines and at one point it had a nice chaotic look, but as I kept on (Everytime you paint over you lose what is beneath) the order was just too strong.  I still like the rusty crusty center though.


Here I started with a less symmetric set of lines and chaos was able to hold its own.  Out of control I thought this morning as I was finishing it up, but then that yellow explosion held everything together I thought.



This are croppings from that last painting.  See this is what I like where stuff is painted over and over the whole thing looks scraggly and dirty, but I don't know if anybody else likes that stuff. 

4 comments:

  1. I like the birds scattering before a storm painting a lot. I also really like the third one--that yellow light coming through the rusty lattice makes it! I think you've imposed too much order on that middle one, but that's my opinion! As for the croppings, I miss some light/dark contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the interplay of light and dark in 1,3, and 5. 5 is especially interesting , with that glowing band of orange taking the eye thru the bluish background. Those streaks of orange in 1 have a similar effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2,3, and 4 don’t interest me. 1&5 look really interesting on my pc with a large screen. Even better on large screen tv. I didn’t like 1 until I enlarged it. The glow in 5 is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 4 and 5 are croppings taken from 3.

    ReplyDelete