Saturday, June 11, 2022

SS 6.11.22 Matterhorn, View from Hotel Room, Zermatt


 My painting today is Matterhorn or "Peak of the Meadows" located straddling the frontier between Switzerland & Italy, 6 miles or 10 km, southwest of village of Zermatt, a car free village & a winter sports resort. We went by train to the adjacent peaks early Sunday morning of June 5 but the top was completely covered by clouds! So my tour group of 7 accounting sorority sisters plus 5 family members accepted the natural disappointment by buying souvenirs, drinking hot choco & coffee, &  photo ops. Millions of years ago, the "almost perfect pyramid shape" was formed when the African land mass slammed into the European plate forcing the ground upward, like a "jagged tooth". Matterhorn's 4 sided , ridged rocky peak towers 4,478 meters above sea level or 14, 692 feet. My sorority tour group of a dozen seniors plus 21 other tourists were surprised that the Monday morning of June 6 revealed an almost cloudless sky & the Matterhorn in its glory, destination of climbers & thrill seekers. Our tour bus was leaving in half hour so I hurriedly sketched the glorious peak using the hotel room graphite pencil @ 7:40 a.m. of June 6. On June 11, Saturday, I was unable to go to Truman class due to slight congestion non covid.  I enhanced my sketch of June 6 with my watercolor paints on June 11. Hope you like it! And we even took a train ride, the day before to miss it! Ce'st LaVie! 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're safely back and can't wait to see more paintings from your trip!

    ReplyDelete