Sunday, June 5, 2022

Elaine O. — June 4, 2022

Well, it's finished! And there's so much to say, starting with Ken's maxim that it's not done until it's overdone. Seriously, this is one of those paintings where I'm happy...and then I go one step too far. In this case, I used gouache to lighten some of the moss and instead, it went all dead and chalky. Lesson 1: Don't rely on gouache to save your values!

Spanish Moss (before removing mask outlines)        9"x12"

And here's Lesson 2: Don't leave mask on for months and months. I started the sketch and the mask a while ago and just found the sheet of paper and decided to paint it. Well, that mask did NOT want to come off. I may have rubbed my actual fingerprints off in the process! Here's the final result. 

Spanish Moss         9"x12"

And Lesson 3: If you're sketching with mask, don't put in a horizon line--I think that's what it is--especially if you don't use it!

3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure of the chronology here. I get that the bottom one is with the mask and top without it, but where does last week's painting fit in on that timeline? Nice airy scene, a lot of motion in the trees, but the pond looks like glass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last week's painting was the first layer. Then I did another few sessions where it reached the level of the top painting (already a layer or two too many!). Then, I let it dry and removed the mask to reveal the bottom painting. You're right. The water is too still, compared with the trees and air.

      Delete