Saturday, May 2, 2020

Sara’s stuff

Here are the daffodils painted on 300lb Waterford cold press. The paper is very substantial but it doesn’t soak up the paint the way some of the other 300lb sheets did.  But  stuff dried a little too quickly for my pace, so I guess it is pretty thirsty. I’m  not really sure this is done. I left the sunlit table sections unpainted, because I think adding color there makes the table too busy.not really happy with the way the windows are painted- they’re a little too blotchy. Also pencil lines show up on the flowers. Overall it was challenging to paint and it borders on being too fussy.
Also worked on this one. It’s a weird size because I’m painting to an existing mat size. The paper is 18 by 24, so it’s abt 14 by 20. I still have to put in the trees. I think I’m channeling Edward Hopper....
This is my one measly sketch. I love these bright yellow green new leaves against the blu sky. And doesn’t a fence, trellis, and chicken coop just scream lockdown urban  living...?!

5 comments:

  1. The daffodils are magnificent! The shadow on the desk is perfect and I really don't mind pencil marks a bit. The white bit of light on the mullions is perfect. The only thing I'd say is that the view from the window isn't as sunny as the rest of the painting. But it's definitely not fussy! The sketch is great. I love those yellow green leaves myself. And I'm interested in seeing how the middle painting turns out. I like the tall orientation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, pencil lines don't matter, neither does any "splotchiness" for the outdoors. I do think the cross shadow on the table is way too dark comparatively so it dominates the painting. Either other parts need to be heightened to balance it out or ... Your middle painting is looking good in all ways. And one measly sketch is way better than none. This one is a great statement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I think you got those flowers just right, and the background is strong, and you even have that intense blue at the bottom of the photo. You nailed it. Time to move on. I always like your cityscapes. Maybe that sky is too high for me, but I think you wanted it that way for dramatic effect. I'm curious about the way it leans right on the paper. Whenever I try to paint something vertical I have to fight not to make it lean rightward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think I photographed it crooked. But I just measured it against my pre-existing mat and the painting is too narrow, so I have to expand it a bit.

      Delete
  4. I have given up worrying about the pencil lines too. I agree that the shadow in the table might be too dark, but that's what it is isn't it? I'd be interested in seeing the middle one. It's kind of a technique I try to use on Yupol

    ReplyDelete