Saturday, May 2, 2020

May 2, 2020 - Elaine O.

I finished the birthday girl's portrait... although she looks about 5 years older than she actually is.



Didn't get much done on my sketchbook at all. The lockdown must be getting to me. I tried another portrait, starting with a direct watercolor wash and adding ink later.


And then, I went all loose and crazy and started this buddha head—only three light, candy colors; very wet and slanted about 45 degrees, so not much control. It won't be great, but it's been fun.


For anyone wondering about the mudras, they were part of a commissioned series featuring small paintings (6x6") of a Tibetan goddess, Tara. The Green Tara is based on traditional Tibetan paintings; the White Tara on a sculpture. In both, one hand gesture symbolizes strength and protection, the other healing and loving kindness. Here they are, all together:





5 comments:

  1. Talk about a variation of portraits. She does look older than the last painting I saw of her, but still sweet and pretty. The colors are good together, sugar pink and soft gold with the outside peaking in. A very nifty pen and wash portrait. Can't wait to see the candy buddha as it progresses. And I luv, luv, luv your goddess suite. Absolutely Fabulous. I never realized they had the same two hand formations until seeing them grouped together. What a difference the color choices make. She must be so happen with what you've sent her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the Tara series are very beautiful- the colors and the way you painted them. Really lovely. The birthday girl looks a little wise beyond her years - like she knows what’s in the big box! I love the little boy sketch, so fresh. Buddha looks like a chance to experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So young and yet so world weary and streetwise. Like Natalie Merchant she will make her way. I'd love to see the boy before you put in the ink. It just seems to me that the ink should go first, but perhaps I am wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I always felt intuitively. Then I read something in an old article about using ink to tie the watercolor together and tighten it up,so I thought I would try that. I deliberately left the watercolor very loose, knowing I'd go in later with ink lines. I think I get looser results when I do the ink first. This way, I followed the paint too closely, I think.

      Delete
  4. Greeta and I kind of like the quick sketch of the little boy.

    ReplyDelete