Saturday, March 28, 2020

Sara’s work

Ok, I’ve been busy this week. I’ve been working on learning the Loomis method for drawing heads. I’ve been watching utube videos by Proko and Kelly Eddington. Plus I found Andrew Loomis’ book online in PDF form. I like the volume that this sketch method creates but it’s really hard to develop an eye for the forms that make up the face. Here are some of my sketches. I have a hard time drawing generic faces from my head; it’s better when I use a photo.










Then I also did some sketches that I developed in to paintings.
This one below I painted as an homage to Wolf Kahn who died a few days ago & whose paintings I admire.  I tried to use his color palette, which relies on a lot of complementary colors. No, he didn’t die of the virus; it was congestive heart failure. He was 92. He painted until the very end. I really like how this turned out.
 Then today I worked on the background for this double portrait. Not sure about it. It looked better an hour ago, now the shapes look too round. Or maybe it just looks better in real life.



And then I painted this in response to the painting pat posted, which look like a Joaquin Sorolla. I did this because I the plate design reminds me of water. But I did the painting on something called canvas paper, which repels water. It’s for acrylics and oils. I ended using colored pencils dipped in water. It was fun to paint.

That’s it folks. I usually start at 9am and work until noon. Sometimes I do sketches in the afternoon. It’s more fun than spring cleaning....

3 comments:

  1. You really have been busy! I really love your pencil sketches--they're so alive. I remember trying Loomis method a while ago and I could never seem to translate to real people--it only seemed to work for generic people for me. Maybe it's worth revisiting. Also, I thought of you when I saw that Wolf Kahn had died. You share a similar sensibility for color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Sara! The portrait drawings are really coming along, especially the ones from photos. You seem to be getting proportions on the money. Have you tried doing any from life lately. I guess that would be you and/or Joe these days. But that would be cool to see how it goes under confinement. Also, the contrast of the scribbley marks with the more rendered shading looks great.
    Your sketchbook drawings alongside paints are great too. It's interesting to see the subtle changes made when
    switching media and time frames.
    The double portrait is progressing. Could be it just photographed more pronounced than it really is...
    And your floral mixed media piece is striking as an abstracted work. Great texture and composition.
    Keep up the good work and the great schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work! I haven't been successful at setting up regular hours, which is ludicrous nowdays. Seeing how your work is blossoming is inspiring!

    --elaine t.

    ReplyDelete