Saturday, June 12, 2021

Sara sketches


 I’ve been sketching the garden every morning, trying to imply things like value and shapes with squiggles. Not always successful but I like the energy of the marks.


I tried to translate it  to watercolor —totally unsuccessful! I don’t know how to capture the same energy with brushstrokes mainly becausei put down these broad swaths of paint. I’m thinking the energy comes from more variation in color and values within the great of color…I don’t know…








A couple more sketches from photos…




And here’s the finished Madonna.


2 comments:

  1. Your sketch reminds me of my ball point sketches. There is only one element in the sketch and that is the line. Although there is something a little unnatural in lines they have a lot of energy. the artist moves to the fore and the image recedes. Your painting is a bit listless because it appears to have no other interest than the image, the artist appears to be absent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, your sketch shows line, energy, movement, value, shape and space. And that's exciting. And the following watercolor sketch illustrates shape and good composition. If your trying for the immediacy and energy of a drawing, try using the watercolors differently. i.e., paint outside, use a different brush, paint sketch-like, go monochromatic...
    Your additional watercolors looks good. Especially the finished Madonna. (p.s. I don't agree with anything you know who is saying)

    ReplyDelete