Saturday, June 5, 2021

Farewell My Lady

 The Lady who has helped me do house maintenance for past 10 years plus snow jobs among other things just told me that she & her husband handyman plan to move back to their hometown anytime soon. We have bonded over the years, thus in my grief over the sad news, I was inspired to paint her. The art work has several challenges. In the underpainting, there was more Alizarin Crimson than the Gamboge. Older women in their fifties have skin folds on the side of their faces and necks & I feel that I was not able to articulate the shades enough. The Lady has curly salt & pepper hair. She has a strong personality, is  trusted & true! I felt I have captured the essence of smile in her eyes &  lips and I stopped! My family will miss her family! I also enclosed a photo of the beginning underpainting per Ken's request! Happy Painting to All!



2 comments:

  1. Susan, you are rocking the portraits! You can really sense the personality of the sitters. And I really appreciate seeing underpainting and preliminary sketching. It shows the artist's mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you showed the underpainting. This looks like a good way to paint a face because they are all shadows and highlights aren't they? Oh and the portrait is awesome.

    ReplyDelete