Monday, October 4, 2021

HER, Oct 21

 She transitioned 11 months ago! In my grief,, I immediately painted her in several versions in 2020 & I was not happy with the results. And then, I recently discovered that President Dubya has painted a book of portraits & I reasoned that if the Chief W could paint then there is hope that I could paint portraits too! This recent pandemic year, I painted a dozen portraits of relatives & friends with a new found knowledge of underpainting.  So, on the first  Saturday of October in the 2nd pandemic year of 2021, I felt I was ready for a second version. This time,  I painted her with an underpainting of gamboge & alizarin, & then.  added all shades of structure & humanity. The highlights of the face are the underpainting showing thru. In my first version done almost a year ago, I painted first the curves & the shades & then, as a final step, painted the highlights or lighter colors ala oil painting style! During the Oct. 4 Showtime, my watercolor class saw the      2020 version & the latest 2021 version & I got a mixed reaction. After a minor tweaks at home, I uploaded this new portrait of Her with her sense of humor, playfulness &  professional discipline showing through! It has not been easy accepting that her email feedback is not coming anymore! Life goes on!


No comments:

Post a Comment