Sunday, April 28, 2024

Uncle Ken goes non-representational

 Just sick and tired of the tyranny of the real world and going to the world of just paint.  Doing four of these on 9x12 paper because I am not yet ready for 18x24.



This is the first in the series, so far so good, I think.



This is the second one and I am not so sure about the river running through it.


This is the third and right now it is going downhill.  Too much paint in the lower right so that it is hard to get the contrast I like.



This is the fourth and was coming along just fine until those viridian flowers(?) burst out into space.


5 comments:

  1. Ken, I love this new direction. They're beautiful --and even more so in real life as the colors are more brilliant. I especially like the composition of the first two paintings. Don't lose the white! And keep going--these are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind of partial to the third one. How’ll you know when you’re done?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good change of direction, Ken. Now that you're thinking of painting paint and not things, just remember that when you start to think or say "downhill," "river running through it," and "flowers" and stop it. Like when we were doing non-representational drawings in class - if what you were doing starts to look like something, immediately change it so it doesn't. That way you don't get distracted from shape, texture, color, space---you know---the elements of art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the hardest part of nonrepresentational painting is to not see things in it. But then, when I look at a nonrepresentational painting, what do I look at? Its sometimes disconcerting b/c we seek the familiar and known…

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just use those terms to talk to other people, but to me they are always a blob of gamboge or a streak of indigo. I sometimes see shapes that look like something but I clear that out of my mind before the brush hits the paper and give my subconscious the helm.

    ReplyDelete